This projector operated for more than 50 years in the Park Theatre, now known as Twin Pine Cinemas. There are three main components to the projector: the projector head, the sound head, and the lamp house. In this four minute movie clip, owner Merv Weinrach, explains how the projector operates. The projectionist needed to be very skilled as there were a lot of possibilities for human error and many chances for difficulties with the equipment.
Merv donated this projector to the museum when he changed to digital projection equipment in 2012. A very informative interview with Merv in which he talks about the differences between mechanical projection of reels of film and digital projection, can be watched on request at the museum. He relates the history of the theatre in Waskesiu and reveals the secret of how he makes and sells the best popcorn.
This photo shows the inside of the lamp house where the light to project the film is generated in the same way an arch welder works.
The photo on the left is of the Park Theatre in 1953 and the picture on the right was taken of the Twin Pine Cinemas in 2015.