We are open every day in July and August from 10 am to 5:30 pm. Admission is free!
A memorial sign has recently been installed at Kapasiwin to remember a tragedy that occurred in Waskesiu Lake in 1927.
Many early cabins and cottages at Waskesiu had charming names. This quaint custom unfortunately has fallen out of fashion.
The Tackle Box is the tale of one family's shack tent, as told by Sandra Moneo Styranka.
In this brief video clip, Mona Finlayson and Merv Houghton enjoy the phrase Waskesiu People.
Prince Albert National Park once had a network of six fire towers which played an important role in fire suppression.
These statistics about Saskatchewan museums are amazing! They demonstrate how important museums are to life in Saskatchewan.
In Waskesiu, there are no fences around people’s cabins and cottages. Cindercrete blocks were sunk level into the ground to show the property line.
This projector operated for more than 50 years in the Park Theatre, now known as Twin Pine Cinema.
A recent exhibit of paintings by a prolific prairie painter has cabin and cottage owners checking their properties for “Flexie” paintings.
One of the early businesses to rent accommodations to friends of shacktenters and other tourists was Waskesiu Bungalow Cabins and Store, built in 1932.
Visitors to Waskesiu and Prince Albert National Park over the years have returned home with souvenirs to remind them of their summer holiday.
The Waskesiu Hertage Museum is fortunate to have on display a uniform from Parks Canada .
Detailed records kept by the head life guard included weather and water conditions and shifts the guards were working.
Plugs were used for casting or trolling for Northern Pike or as they are locally known, jackfish, in Waskesiu and Crean Lakes.
This is one of the original signs that Park visitors would see in many locations around the Park.
A very popular activity with Park visitors of all ages was roller skating at Skatehaven, an outdoor rink.
Doc Sissons and his spouse Ma Sissons owned or operated several business in the early years, but are mostly remembered for the Shell Shop.
Visitors to Waskesiu purchased a variety of goods as souvenirs of their holiday at Waskesiu.
The Waskesiu Heritage Museum has two examples of medallions that were used as annual Park permits or vehicle licenses in the 1930s.
This cart was used to portage boats around low water in the Kingsmere River on a narrow gauge rail line of about a quarter of a mile for many years.
Early visitors living in shack tents cooked and shared meals in the camp kitchens provided by the Park service in the campgrounds.
In the early days of the Park, Waskesiu Livery Service supplied the vacationers with ice for the iceboxes in the summer.
Cowichan sweaters were a staple wardrobe item for shacktenters and early visitors to the Park.
The Paddlewheeler, known as the Neo-watin, toured guests around Lake Waskesiu on a one-hour cruise.
Waskesiu has many connections to the world of hockey. Our Curator chatted with Brad Meier, NHL referee about this and his own connections with Waskesiu.
A regular visitor and seasonal employee at Prince Albert National Park in the 1950s and 60s, Gordie Howe called Waskesiu "his favourite place on earth". The Museum received donations from his family in 2019 when Gordie was honored in several ways at Waskesiu.
Built in 1931 by Ivor Frigstad, this building has hosted many different proprietors and businesses since. Divided into three premises, it has housed a grocery store, dry goods, meat market, post office, drugstore, and fishing tackle shop. The Frigstad, Arner, McCarter, Tallon, and Archer families have been involved over the years.
Copyright © Waskesiu Heritage Museum.
We are located on Treaty 6 / Métis territory.
All rights reserved. Reproduction without permission is prohibited.
Interested in using material and information on this site for educational purposes? Please contact us.
Web site by UncommonSense Business Solutions.